Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritass 8.6 Exhange Agent??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe123

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
GB
Please help!

Platform NT

I have installed Exchange Agent and is showing me the Exchange Directory, Information store and Mailbox items underneath the server. They are empty though?? I have installed Outlook and Exchange Administrator....still not joy...

Any ideas....

You don't need Outlook on that server. Dumb one - you are looking at the server with Exchange on it?

If so, then your problem is permissions. You need to run BE with a service account that has permissions for the Exchange containers.

Don't quite understand...yes I am looking at the server with Exchange on it.

Permissions are not the issue we have given the service account every possible permission there is and we are still getting the same problem. When logged in under the service account though when trying to access to Exchange Administrator it give the error insufficient access rights.....cannot be???

Have taken the software off and re-installed it, still coming up with the same error at the same point.

In my own exprience trying to expand the Dir Store and Info Store does not show any information, there is nothing to see/expand out. What is going on with your mailboxes though I don't know, if you can actually see the Dir Store, Info Store and Mailboxes then your permissions would appear to be set correctly, however I am inclined to agree with Zelandakh that there is a permissions issue here because you should be able to see mailboxes if you can see the others.

Its been a while since I've played about with BE but I should be in the next few days so if anything springs to mind I'll let you know.

Cheers

I have managed to sort it so I can now see my individual mailboxes. The only problem now is whenI click on the Microsoft Exchange Directory and the Information Store nothing appears in the righthand view all itstates is no selections exist for this resource. Am I supposed to make selections at this point or what??...confused! I would have thought the directory structure would appear.

Cheers

To add to the pain and misery this is causing me, I have just tried to backup an individual mailbox, and guess what it failed saying could not find directory????

I am stumped and now....really annoyed!

calm soothing thoughts ;)

When selecting the Exchange Directory and Exchange Info Store you are correct, the right hand window states "no selections exist for this resource" I have run a test this morning and successfully backed up my Info Store. As I understand it the Dir and Info are databases, there is nothing to see, if everything fails you restore the whole database, end of story. Thats what the mailbox, brick level backup is for, brick level that you need to see.

Whats the exact error message you are getting when trying to back up the mailboxes.

I have had exactly the same problems as you before now and I'll hopefully be able to help. BE is very good one is starts to work and once you understand it, its taken me quite a while but its preferable to the likes of CA Arcserve which is absolutely diabolical, it doesn't even give error messages and just fails :)

That is fine about the Information Store and Directory. When trying to backup a mailbox I got the error below:

Backup started on 10/31/01 at 1:40:27 PM.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?<Username> [username]?Common Views and its subdirectories.

Backup completed on 10/31/01 at 1:40:32 PM.
Backed up 0 mail message(s) in 0 folder(s) in 1 mailbox(es)
1 item was skipped.
Processed 36 bytes in 5 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min

When I look in the mailboxes they are all the same with no individual details.

It is like I am still being restricted from seeing something!

Also when you did your backup this morning did you dl it on a live database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back