Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas says the job is running but the "Percent "Complete" is bl

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliboone

Programmer
Mar 23, 2004
US
Hello,

I am running Veritas Backup Exec version 8.5. I have diff, full, and off site jobs that run. For some reason the off site job will run when I right click on it and choose 'run now'. It says it is running and when I look at its properties the File Statistics change but after an hour or so the job fails when nothing in the 'Percent Complete' field. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Eli

Hi Lou0686,

I let the Diff backup run when I left yesterday. When I came in today it had Aborted. The only Alert is "Please insert overwritable media into the drive." The log file says.....

"Error - Mount failed.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
User aborted a Physical Volume Library operation."

I don't know what this means or what I can try next.

Anyone have any thoughts,

Thanks, Eli

Ok, I tried to run todays Diff job. When I inserted the tape (I relabled the tape yesterday.) Veritas gave the "Please insert overwritable media." message twice. I clicked ok both times. Then a new alert appeared saying...

"Media 'relabledextra' is overwrite protected.

The media in drive 'Tape Drive' is currently allocated and is not available for overwrite operations."

Then the tape was ejected.
Not sure what to try next.
Eli

The tape might be locked physically to protect from overwriting.

Is the tape in a media set with an overwrite protection period set on it.

Run an inventory on the tape device when the tape is in the drive and see what it says under overwrite filed.

Thanks for the replies 007711 and iainwatt,

I quick erased all of tapes and gave them a 1 hour overwrite protection period. Part of the problem was that there was more than 12 GB of data on my server so the tapes couldn't finish the backup job. I have definitely learned a lot about Veritas Backup Exec because of these problems. "Trial by Fire" lol

Thanks again,

Eli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back