Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas Problem .. Never run out of Problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2002
SG
I got this problem with Veritas .. Im using Exchange Agent, Online Backup .. but I restore it to the New Server with the same Config .. I have a inconsistent data ..

Any Suggestion,please
*running out of patience here guys*

Can you supply more detailed information on what the inconsistancies are?

Ok.. the scenario.

I am running Exchange 5.5 SP3 on WinNT 4.0 SP6 with BackupExec 8.6 installed(IDR,OFO,Exchange Agent)on Server I
I am using the Exchage Agent-OnLine BackUp every 10 PM on a Ultrium Tape.

Now when I try to Restore using veritas, the said Tape on a different Machine Server II, with the same configuration Server I(complete replica). when I run the eseutil to see the Status .. all the edb's are inconsistent ..

Did I miss something????

Thanks...

Yes .. Same Server Name, IP .. and Directory, all same config., almost twin of Server I, but not connected to Network.. :)

Again .. When Restoring the BackUp Tape using Veritas .. the only Service that is Up is the System Attendant..
So after the restoratin was completed ...
before I will start the Directory Services .. I have to run Eseutil /mh in DOS prompt to check the Status of the 3 edb's. Unfortunately the edb's status is "Inconsistent "

So I have to run the Eseutil /P to Fix or make the Edb's consistent .. First the Dir. then the Pub and Priv .. then I try to run the Eseutil /mh to check the Status of the edb's and this time they are consistent .. My next step was to restart the PC ... after restarting .. Dir Services , Info Store ,MTA , did not start.. and when I check the NT Event Viewer .. the Error Message was "Unknown Error Occur"

Did I miss something ...

I would try setting the server up on the domain just like you were going to set up a stand alone exchange server. The Server name can be different from the original's, as long as the site name is the same in Exchange. Just don't join the Exchange site to the Main Exchange system's Organization. Very you can connect to the server via Outlook on the server. Then restore from tape doing a redirect to the new server. I have had success doing it this way in the past. The key to this approach is making sure you can create a mailbox on the stand alone server, and then can open the mailbox via Outlook installed locally.

hm.. just thinking... you installed outlook on the servers? It's needed.

The thing to remember with Exchange is that the security of exchange is directly tied to the SID (Security IDentifier) of the NT/2000 server it is installed on. If the databases are restored to another machine (ie a disaster recovery machine), because of the different SID, the security will not allow access to the databases without modification.

If you have a backup of the origional machines system state, this can be restored to the new machine (as long as it has the same ID, IP, etc...) in ASR or recovery mode, restoring the origional SID. This will make things easier when accessing the databases.

Remember, two machines with the same SID can not exist on the same network!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back