Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas Netbackup and Backup Exec backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlando59

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
Hello,

What is the difference between Veritas Netbackup and Backup Exec backup? I have not used the Veritas backup software before and have an interview with a firm that uses it for backup in a week. What should I know? I have used Tivoli, LXi and Arcserve. Any basic commands would be of help.

Thanks

I have not used NetBackup, but I do know that if you plan to backup UNIX based operating systems, Netbackup is the way to go. Backup Exec will back them up, but it is very limited on the types of backups it will run on UNIX servers. If you are just backing up Windows NT based operating systems with no plans on adding UNIX servers to your network, Backup Exec works great.

The difference to your management can be thousands and thousands of dollars to start (NetBackup Data Center can cost much more for licensing than BackupExec DC). We actually use both in our environment for particular reasons. If you have any UNIX machines that you want to backup, then NetBackup is definately the way to go (and better than Legato for UNIX which we also use IMHO). We were utilizing ArcServe and BackupExec in the NT side of the house, and while both have their particular strengths, BackupExec won out in the long run as of about 2 years ago. Without UNIX, BackupExec would probably be the best way to go (a somewhat generic statement though you were vague on your environment).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back