Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas is not backing up anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDust

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
US
This started in a previous thread, but the issue has evolved to a much bigger problem, so I apologize for duplicate threads but this problem is different in nature.

I have set up a job that is supposed to back up 2 of the drives on our server (it used to work fine until I decided to reconfigure Veritas). I start the job with media inserted, and the job just runs for inifinity. It will run for 21 hours and not back up a single file OR throw an error. Does anyone know what MIGHT be going on here?

Have you checked the job history for the job? Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer logs (both on the backup server and on the machine with the files you are trying to back up)?

Possibility: With the reconfiguration, the service that BE runs backups under might not have permissions to access the file(s).

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Well, there's no job history for the job unless I cancel the job. Otherwise it just hangs for eternity. That's what makes this so hard to troubleshoot - it doesn't throw an error of any sort. I will check permissions of the files we're trying to back up... thanks.

Is D a network drive? If so, make sure Backup Exec's services use a DOMAIN account.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

I don't know if this information is of any help when diagnosing our problem, but even when I cancel a job the job status says "Cancel pending" and nothing happens for the LONGEST time. The last job cancellation I instigated yesterday has been hanging for 31 hours and there are no other jobs in the queue.

Also, about the file permissions... shouldn't Veritas throw an error or skip over files that are protected in some way??

I had a similar issue, and I tried a different SCSI cable, (or disconnect then reconnect any cables) - and then I started getting SCSI errors in the System Event log.

So I went out and bought a new SCSI card and now it works great - no errors. But I still have my problem with the media.....

SQLBill??? Help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back