Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

veritas encapsulation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have got a Sun e420r running solaris2.6 with VVM3.0.4 installed and as much as I try I cannot encapsulate the rootdisk. I have tried vxdiskadm and also tried vxencap and still it will not work. Each time it falls over saying that the disk is already in use, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how I can get round it?

Hello there...
Do you have any unallocated space in this disk? and do you have two free slices? these are pre-requisites...

Veritas used to work on this machine until an upgrade to Solaris 8 broke it big time. I recovered the machine to a working state and unencapsulated the rootvol with no problems at all. When i attempted to encapsulate it again it would not allow me to do so.

Yes there are two slices free for veritas, the cylinder count for all the slices goes up to 5000 which leaves 2505 free cylinders.

Hi nyck,
what´s the current level of Solaris? 2.6 or 8? is there any disks under VXVM control? maybe there´s some entries in /etc/system kernel config concearning VXVM...

[]´s
HTT

I've now got it working fine, what I did was the following:-

touch /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db
init 6
vxiod set 10
vxconfigd -m disable -k
vxdctl init
vxdg init rootdg
/usr/lib/vxvm/bin/vxencap rootdisk=c0t0d0
init 0

after all this it worked fine