Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie2181

Technical User
May 27, 2003
GB
Hi,
I have just recently purchased Veritas BE 9.1. I've installed this fine along with our Certance LTO2 Auto loader backup device. The only problem is i can not perform a backup to this device and i don't really know where to start looking for a solution. I have run BE Diagnostics and get

[0904] 09/15/04 16:26:02 Device Registry:

Scsi Address
Prt :Bus :Tar :Lun Attributes
------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0000:0000:0000:0000 "atapi", (Port Driver)

------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0001:0000:0000:0000 "atapi", (Port Driver)

0002:0000:0000:0000 "adpu160m", (Port Driver)

0002:0000:0005:0000 "CERTANCELTO2 LDRCLL3200 S42r", (Changer Device), ""

[0904] 09/15/04 16:26:03 Device Discovery:

Scsi Address
Prt :Bus :Tar :Lun Attributes

0002:0000:0005:0000 Device Name ""
Primary Inquiry "CERTANCELTO2 LDRCLL3200 S42r"
Serial Number ""
Device Flags SCSI
Device State 1, Offline, ERROR = 0x0000007B (ERROR_INVALID_NAME)

[0904] 09/15/04 16:26:03 Device Discovery End:

I have no idea if that's relevant to the problem or not but it doesn't look good to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot

Dan

Need better info, Does your drive say online in veritas? or is it greyed out? can you perform a inventory on the media?

Hold on! This could Hurt! I ain't certified by Microsoft!

Thanks

Right ok,
Under the devices list i have got

Robotic libraries
Certance1
<unknown drive> - Disabled (greyed out)
Slots

I can perform an inventory on the media but that is all i can do!

Thanks

Dan

It sounds like the drivers are not installed for the tape unit. Go to veritas support and download the tape unit drivers. then reboot and tape unit should go online. Hope that helps.

Hold on! This could Hurt! I ain't certified by Microsoft!

Thanks

I agree its not detecting the library and drives.

By the looks of things you have the Certance AL820 autoloader.
Now this is a multi-lun device ie. the drive and loader both share the same SCSI ID, but use different luns.

By the looks of the Adamm log, you have not enabled Multi LUN support on SCSI ID 5 on the SCSI card - you need to do this from the SCSI BIOS as the server is booting up. You are using an Adaptec card, so it's Ctrl-A on bootup.

Another thing, check the SCSI ID assignments, it should be setup as:-
Drive should use SCSI ID 5, LUN 0
Loader should use SCSI ID 5, LUN 1

Make sure you are using the latest driver set from Vertias -At least driver set 41 - as this was the first driver set to support your autoloader.
Driver Set 43 can be found here -
Once that is all done, check also the following:-
In Windows Device manager:-
1. Check Medium Changers - it should come up as Unknown medium changer using MS driver.
2. Check Tape devices - make sure windows is seeing it and it is using the Veritas driver.

If all else fails - follow this technote on trying to resolve the issue -

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give all those ideas a try today and let you know how i get on

Thanks again

Dan

Thanks a lot everyone it's all sorted now!! Driver issue and the SCSI Multi LUN thing

Thanks again

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back