Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 9.0 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieCCL

Technical User
Dec 1, 2005
GB
Hi there, im having a problem with Veritas Backup Exec 9.0.

the problem we are having is that i installed a new backup drive onto our windows 2000 server. the backup drive is a HP DAT72 usb drive. the drive is installed and can be seen in device manager, when i open Veritas backup it does not find the new tape drive at all? is there any reason that Veritas wont pickup the new tape Drive? is there anything i should be doing so that the tape drive can be seen in veritas. i have disabled the old tape drive so that is not in use no more but still having issues of not being able to see the drive?

thanx for the help in advance

Jamie

Hi,

You will need to install the veritas drives for the new drive.

Try running the device config wizard, off the tools / wizards menu.

Paul

If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

Hi there i tried running the device config wizard through the tools/wizards menu with no luck.

alls it seems to find is the old drive even though that was disabled?

does anyone know where i can get the veritas drivers from for this version of veritas? the drive is a, Hewlett packard DAT72 USB Drive? also does anyone know if it is compatible or not?

cheers

Hi,

Sorry Jamie, I missed the fact it was a USB drive.

Windows and hence Backup exec will see it as a drive, so you will need to set it up in backup to disk / Removable Backup to disk devices.

Navigate to the devices tab, its in the left hand column, near the bottom, just right click.

Removable Backup to disk devices.

And create a new folder/device.

This should then be selectable as a destination in your backup job. After a quick services reset.

Paul

Hi there i have looked in the Removable Backup to disk devices.And create a new folder/device. when i try this i can only select drives and network places from My computer. as the USB drive is not accesable as a drive through My computer i cannot chose a destination when trying to add a new Removable Backup to disk device. i dont think that i need to be adding this type of device as it is just a USB backup drive? we have another server at our other site which runs a similar HP USB drive and this is installed as a stand alone drive and Veritas picked this drive up by using the wizard. do you have anymore suggestions to what else i can try as i really need this sorting out? it seems to be that no matter were i look in Veritas it does not see the NEW HP USB TAPE DRIVE at all?

cheers

Jamie

Jamie,

The problem seems to be that the server cant see the USB, if you cant see the drive in My computer, it will never work in Backup Exec.

Have you tried plugging the drive into another computer and see if it detects it.

Also is the running service pack 4.

This article, may help with the computer not seeing the usb drive

Paul

Hi,

Did you ever manage to get this working? I have the exact same problem with the exact same hardware. The trouble is that HP claim this device is compatible with Backup Exec, so it should be possible to get it working.

It's a USB *Tape* Drive, BTW, not a disk drive, so it won't show in My Computer and cannot be accessed via Backup to Disk folders.

Prevention is better than cure - fix it before it becomes broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back