Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 8.6 Job engine chrashes on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclmu

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2003
BE
Hi!

We are using Veritas 8.6 and it worked till we added another tape drive. We had a DDS-3 tape and installed a LTO Ultrium tape now. Therefore we used the latest Veritas driver package available for download.

If i start the Veritas GUI, i do get an error message that bengine.exe crashed. It says command x"032083cc" has failed on memory x"00000018".

This error is reproduceable. If i try to define new backup selections i do get error messages from Veritas.

I was advised by tech support to update MDAC and Jet. But those updates did not help.

Has anyone an idea, how to eliminate this error?

Magnus

Problem may be with the use of GUID. I have seen problems with changing out tape drives when they go bad and all of a sudden you have problems writing to the new tape drive. Advise checking out Veritas web site and look up the issue about changing out tape drives. I remember a tech bulletin on an issue to yours and mentioned about the GUID's. I did the same that Tech support suggested and reading the tech tip fixed my problem. Another area to look into is re running device wizard and let BE rediscover the tape drives.
Let me know if anything I suggested fixes it. Thx.

We resolved this issue now. Backup Exec was completely removed using the Windows Software uninstall. All drivers were also removed. For safety we decided to delete all Veritas user data.

After the new installation the problem was gone and the software is operating correctly.

Prior to fixing it we placed the tape drive into another server an saved our servers. That way we could verify that the tape drive and the software could work together and that the agents were also not the problem. This left us with two scenarios:

1. Defective Veritas installation
2. Corrupted Windows installation

Luckily it was the first one :)

Glad to hear you got it fixed and let everyone know the resolution. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back