Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 8.6 Fail when Backup Information storage and MailBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
AU
Hi
My Backup alway fail whenever backup both Information Storage and Mailbox. The backup is Completed but when verified it give a Fail Job. Can some one help me please

Thanks in Advance

Hi nhat,

Backup Exec displays a backup as failed as soon as a certain amount of files cant be access. That can resolve from an open Application (Outlook) for example. Make sure that no user is logged in and using Outlook. You can also disable the open file option in the settings as it is most likely that this is the problem.
I have the same problem, so my advice, check the error log. If it says "this and that file could not backed up it is already a reason to display that the backup failed. Always check the size of the backup and as already mentioned try disableing the open file option.

Cheers, Asok

Nhat,

The reason Veritas returns a failure on your Exchange store is because you have mailboxes on your Exchange that
have not been deleted. Whenever someone leaves the company, one of the first things that is done is to disable the account. This in turn, makes backing up the store difficult for Veritas.

What you need to do is modify the backup definition to exclude those individuals which have left the company and Veritas will return successful backups. If you notice with your backups, you are still backing up the same amount of data. So, your backups are working it just cant handle the disabled mailboxes.

That's one of the problems we're having here aswell..

Thank you very much, sounds like something that will work for us..

Ki

I've had this problem and resolved it by rebooting and relogging the backup server on the network. I'm using a Win2k Pro box for backup and sometimes it with momentarily get disconnected from the network. Not sure why this happens but the backup runs fine and it fails on the verify. Rebooting resolves the problem until the next time.

This doesn't happen very often.

My backups fail without any noticeable pattern - they'll be going fine for weeks, then start failing due to an I/O error. I'm using Backup Exec 8.6 with an HP Ultirium 215 external tape drive. I've had consultants look at it, HP replace the drive twice, replaced the SCSI card, and tried HP's drivers instead of Vertas'. I'm out of options. Restarting the server seems to do the trick, but not for long. Desperately seeking solution...

Here's the error, which begins to occur during the verification process, and then starts happening earlier and earlier until I'll have just a few megabytes backed-up before this dreaded failure:

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back