Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 8.6 Backup exec - "unable to attach" "access Denied"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfowler

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hello All:

I've been getting this for the past few days and i'm stumped. It seems to be a permissions problem but I have checked and doublechecked everything. Anyone, please let me know something.

Unable to attach to \\DEV\System?State.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\DEV\System?State

-----------------------------------

Unable to attach to \\DEV\C$.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\DEV\C$.

Enabled restrict anonymous support on both the media server and dev1. If that doesnt work. Stop the services on the backup exec server and rename bewinui.uni and start the service again.

Backup jobs run under the account that Backup Exec services uses. Does that login have access to what you are trying to backup? (Usually BE services are LOCAL administrator accounts, but that won't work when backing up over a network. BE's services account needs to be a DOMAIN admin).

-SQLBill

Steveot:

thanks. i'll try that and see what happens.

SQLBILL:

Thank you too. I have all my services setup to login as a Domain Admin. that login has full and unrestricted access to my network.

thanks,

kfowler

Steveot:

I tried enabling restrict anonymous support on both servers but that didnt change anything. it still didnt attach. I just stopped all services and renamed that .UNI file, i'll see what happens with that.

SQLBill:

I doublechecked all my services to make sure all are usingn the domain admin account with the correct username\password. That looks like its ok.

Thanks for the assistance,

kfowler

Yeaaa Steveot! Renaming the .UNI file got it! Could you explain why that would fix it? thanks for your help man!

Thanks,

Kinney

Basiccally it stores all the username/passwords on how you attach to each server or resource.

You can use a program off the Install cd called pwddbedt.exe to take a look at it and you can change the credentials. Typically just renaming it gets rid of the issues.

cool. thanks again for your help.

I'm not having it but a tech buddy of mine is having a problem backing up his information store. its telling him its already running and the job fails. Could you shine some light on that for me? Lemme know.

Thanks,

kfowler

I would have to see the job log or more specific details. What version of Exchange, BE and OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back