Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 10D

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn8210

Technical User
May 26, 2004
GB
Im using a small business server 2003 with backup exec and a VS40/80 tape drive. I had backups working great and data backup is 47GB. Dell changed my tape drive and now all my backups are asking for a second tape with no data size or file change on the server.

Hardware compression is enabled on the drive using veritas

Dell support is crap for veritas unless you have gold support does anyone no of a solution or a good third part support for veritas. Because the software was oem with the dell server veritas want me to pay £450 to uupgrade to the retail version for there support for a years support etc. Aahhhhhhhhhh i will be buying the full version from now on.

Tape compression level in veritas is showing up as 1:1
Can this be changed

Think the tape compression it shows is just a report of what it compressed. In the job setup general tab what sort of compression are you using? Hardware/ software etc?

In Veritas - Devices on the properties of the device and then the configuration tab you have compressiosn enabled right?
Would look at the drivers you are using for the device after that. Veritas or Dell?

Just Updated again and rebooting the Server ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Have to assume the tape unit shows up as ok in device manager as you can write to them ok but just without compression. Seems like all the basic bits are enabled that should allow compression aswell.

Only thing I can think of is changing the compression to hardware therwise none and run the backup then change to software only and run the backup to see if either makes any difference.

Make sure you have the hotfix for device drivers installed. this may help. It is a Veritas/Symantec hotfix. If you do phone Dell I think the only thing to ask is "does the drive support hardware compression". I assume that it does, but you just never know!

Get the latest Veritas drivers and see what happens. Also check the device settings in BE to see what they are set to.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back