Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

verifying users with the computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kribo

MIS
Aug 1, 1999
US
i don't know if this question has surfaced yet, but i'm trying to locate users with the computers that they are on. i know that i can use nbtstat to locate users individually, but i was looking for a command or a utility that can be printed out and give a list of all the users with the computers. i'm trying to implement the nt login script. not sure if this make any sense.<br>
<br>
thanks.<br>
:)

kribo,<br>
I have asked this same question of those in our server admin group and have yet to get a satisfactory answer. By what I have been told so far, we are to utilize the domain/comment field of the Server properties which is modified through control panel/server/description - this is supposing that this information is correct and up to date. I have been instructed to then go by way of Network Neighborhood to the domain that group uses and sort/search under the comments field. No - this is not at all efficient! I too will be watching to see if anyone posts an acceptable method.

kribo,<br>
<br>
Here's something that you can try if you have access to a primary server like the logon server or the home directory server, (if one exists). At a peak use time on your network, do a net session & throw the output into a text file, e.g. net session&gt;c:\users.txt<br>
This will give you all of the computer names logged into that server, as well as user IDs, OS, idle time. This will catch the majority of what you're looking for. Comparing this to a list of users can let you know who has been missed & you can get them individually, if it's a small number, or do another net session at another time to grab them also. Hope that this helps you,<br>
<br>
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back