Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verify good bootimage on rootvg 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
I have just mirrored my rootvg. And I want to verify that my boot image is okay, and will boot after a reboot.

After I copied my LVs to the new disks (SAN), and did a syncvg -v rootvg

I have done this:
bosboot -a
bosboot -ad/dev/hdiskXX (the new disk) **I am in doubt here**

bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdiskXX (the new disk).

am I missing anything?

TIA

Hello,

rootvg should only be on internal disk and not on SAN disks.

You can use this command to see if rootvg is well mirrored:

#lsvg -l rootvg
on line PP you should see 2.
If you see 1 , that means that rootvg is not well mirrored.

Bye

...u also do :

#lspv -l hdisk0

outpout1

#lspv -l hdiskX

outpout2

outpout1 and outpout2 should be exactly the same, if so, the rootvg is well mirrored.

We also run "ipl_varyon -i" to double-check with disks are bootable.

Regards,

Jarrett
IBM Certified Systems Expert pSeries HACMP for AIX 5L
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert for AIX 5L and pSeries

mag0007:

An easier way to mirror rootvg is mirrorvg rootvg hdiskX hdiskY

The system mirrors all the LVs and syncs things up with just one command. The you would do your bosboot and bootlist commands.

As far as booting off the SAN, we don't do it where I work, but I know of a lot of places that do. I'm sure there are things you have to consider, which you probably already have. Run the ipl_varyon -i that metzlej suggested to verify the SAN disk is bootable.

Regarding your bootlist command: Be sure to set the bootlist for service mode as well. You can do both normal and service bootlists with the command:
bootlist -m both hdiskX hdiskY cd0

thanks to everyone for the help!

stars deserved!

rootvg should only be on internal disk and not on SAN disks."

HUH? I have for the last two years bounced back and forth between SAN and internal disks for maintance on powerpath and SSD. Heck I have had a system with a SAN and internal mirrored for months and months. AIX does not care. Disk is disk.

Rootvg on SAN LUNs? I Don't do it myself (yet) but that does work.

On some server types you might need a fairly recent microcode upgrade to be able to boot from a SAN LUN, especially when multipath LUNs are in place...

HTH,

p5wizard

We have rootvgs only on SAN disks due to lack of internal disks - it works perfectly. System restoring from mksyssb image takes ca. 4-5 minutes!!!! (DS4800)

I am boot AIX from San too, work perfect for me.
what I am going to do is work out a solution for disaster recovery.

For example the original machine is down, but I have another machine which is same model / hardware, do you think I can just mount the lun and boot up the system from the san boot image?

I asked IBM, they suggest me to use alt_clone...

Cha

I have over 320 AIX server booting from SAN no problems

plamb:

So do you have disks that say 'NO' when you do ipl_varyon -i?

If they say 'NO' are they your boot disks?

We use EMC SAN with srdf to copy rootvg and datavg's to remote site when primary site goes down we switch to the srdf copy and boot. works great for 300+ servers

plamb:
Can you do a 'ipl_vayon -i' and tell me if you SAN disks say 'Yes' or 'No'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back