Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verify esxi installation path? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodeesos

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2007
SE
We have a couple of esxi's in a cluster running from local sd cards.
One of them behaves a bit strange when it loses contact with our ip-SAN. The affected esxi disconnects from the cluster, i can access it by running the vsphere client directly against but the status of the vm's is grayed out...

I suspect it might be installed on the ip-SAN somewhere instead of on the sd card by mistake.

However, i cant find any way to verify the esxi installtion path.
The sd card dosent show up under datastore och datastore adapters in vsphere client. Not even on the esxi's where I know its de facto installed on a sd card.

Any clues?

In the vSphere client select Configuration > Storage. Select each Datastore and click Properties. If ESXi is installed on one of the LUNs you'll see a bunch of DOS partitions in the Extent Device listings.

Credit to Dave Mishchen

Thanks cabraun and Dave.

However, I didnt find any esx installation so i guess its actually installed on sd card.

I also see that that my first post is a bit wrong.
We have this problem when the affected esx loses contact with our Fibre Channel SAN. Not when it loses contact with our IP SAN as I wrote.
And this happens even if at the time no powered on vm have storage in the FC SAN.

Now, i can check this theory of my trobleshootning list. :)

Another idea is that HA might be the cause, its shut of but some part of might be lurking around anyways... Who knows?

Thanks again!
Regards!

/dodeesos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back