Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VCM Advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjwilson12379

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2003
Hello all.

We have a scenario that I would like some prof advice on.

We currently have an office w/ an IPO406, PRI, full DIA (data T).

This location is about to open another building about 5 miles away w/ maybe 30 users max, of which maybe 10 - 15 on the phone at any given time... max. We were initially going to put another IPO in this location, with another PRI, DIA, etc. My inclination is to utilize the IPO for all that it is worth and put a VCM20 in the current system, vpn to the new location, and use 5610 IP Phones over the VPN. Get a new block of DIDs, etc dedicated for the new office.

Does this seem like a reliable idea? our data Ts never drop in the area, they actually keep them up and running.

Or is it best to get another IPO and connect them via the VPN, but utilize regular DS stations?

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate the knowledge on this site.

Mike

------------------
Michael Wilson
Dir. of I.T.
REMAX Allegiance

I would go for the all IP solution and not buy another IP office, it's easy to maintain, cheaper and if the IP link is fat enough and it is installed/configured correctly it will work just fine.
I have seen a lot of these solutions working just fine.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Our CLEC is actually going to give us an MPLS product between the two sites so the voip traffic has higher priority in their system between our locations. Thanks!

Mike

------------------
Michael Wilson
Dir. of I.T.
REMAX Allegiance

Be cautious of 911 between locations (assuming US). If someone dials 911 from one of your remote IP phones, if not set correctly it will show the wrong address, etc.

The MPLS product is a cisco router w/ an analog port, so when you dial 911, it intercepts and dials via an anlog line at that site. So this provides the correct location/address for first responders, etc.

Took us a while to get this worked out. Thanks for the input.

------------------
Michael Wilson
Dir. of I.T.
REMAX Allegiance

Intresting, so if i dail 911 at one of the IP-Phones the Cisco Router intercepts and dails out hmmmmm

It is part of the package with our provider. They have it working at sites already, so I don't ask questions, I will just expect it to work... or have my own analog line delivered and tie into the IPO.

------------------
Michael Wilson
Dir. of I.T.
REMAX Allegiance

One thing to note there is a new VCM out with echo suppression it is worth going for this they come in the following sizes 4 8 16 and 24.
Make sure you get on of these

We have found they significantly reduce the echo on IP handsets.

Other wise its a good solution go for gold

[cheers]

crashtest1000 can yo supply part numbers for these new vcms? and do both have to be the new style or can you get the performance of changing just your main IP office unit (when used with other IPO units)?

VCM 4 700359854

VCM 8 700359862

VCM 16 700359870

VCM 24 700359888

Must be running V3 or at leaset 2.1(35)

Yese you could run a mix of old and new

[cheers]

Have experienced numerous hardware failures on the old VCM's. (5,10,20). Especially the VCM20.
Go for the new ones, you won't be sorry.

Here's a stupid question, w/ the VCM, that is concurrenct calls, not the number of endpoints, correct? We will only ever need the VCM16 (max) at a time, but will probably have 20 to 25 endpoints. Is this a problem?

Yes, as in real estate.

VCM is for concurrent calls, correct. It could be a problem, but chances are all 20-25 people won't be making a call to a digital set/PSTN at the same time, so you're probably safe for now.

What I thought, just wanted to check before I ordered hardware. THanks for all the great insite... now if someone could just give us a good solution to hear rinigng instead of MOH on our main AA. Whatever is in holdmusic.wav supercedes the music-on-hold box hooked up. Quite annoying. Have one site that wants the system out because of that.

Delete the file holdmusic.wav which is in the working directory of manager. It will then try to load the file, see it's not there and should go with the MOH plug in the back of the system.

The file is removed... the problem is on our AA. There is an assisted transfer to a hunt group. We had a ringing sound holdmusic.wav file so the user would hear ringing. But then they heard ringing while on hold. Put the MOH device on the system, removed the file, and now when you call in, the caller hears music, not ringing. We need both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back