Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VCL is easier than MFC Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtrotzjr

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
The subject says it all.

I have both C++ Builder and Visual C++. It took me months to get the MFC Framework down. With C++ Builder I haven't even read a book for it yet and I already understand it for the most part. IMHO Windows programming is definitely easier with VCL. So I wonder why does anyone use MFC?? It is a nightmare to learn in comparison. Anyone have any reasoning here?
David

coz C++ Builder is made by techies for techies and not by marketing guys.
I too agree with you, and I use VC++ only for DirectX and OpenGL programming (I don't know why I still use VC++, but it must be coz I am lazy to download files that run with BCB.
The reason for MFC's "success" is that MS is a good, and I mean really good marketing company.

Welcome to the Pythian Games!
Long live Godess Athena!
dArktEmplAr of Delphi Oracle

It sounds like you are saying that MFC == VC++. You can use VC++ and not touch MFC at all.
--Will Duty
wduty@radicalfringe.com

Of course that is true but the bottom line is when using VCL versus MFC, VCL is a lot easier to use. My point is not to compare Visual C++ to C++ Builder because there are some things I like in each product, but as far as application framework is concerned, VCL is the winner.

I see what you mean. I don't know MFC but I have heard elsewhere that VCL is better.
--Will Duty
wduty@radicalfringe.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back