Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBScript to Redirect MyDocuments (Logon Script)

Status
Not open for further replies.

efiftythree

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
Ok, my programmer 'hat' doesn’t fit to well so I need a bit of help with this one. I just finished my logon script that maps drives according to group memberships as well as maps a home directory. I want to include ‘My Documents’ redirection into the script because I find the Group Policy redirection fails more often than not.

After viewing some threads in this forum I think I might need to do some registry alteration via the script... but I'm basically clueless in that dept.

If anyone can help me out or even point me in the right direction that would be great.

I find the Group Policy redirection fails more often than not.

I would focus my attention on why you are getting failure. The above should work all the time. You may have network or DNS issues.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your replies Mark and MrMovie.

Mark, I believe the reason for the GPO redirection failure is because the GPO is being applied before the logon script has a chance to map the drive. I have the GPO set to redirect the My Documents folder to H: instead of a UNC path.

Why not modify that so it points to the proper UNC. You can still map a drive to is as H and users can still access the files on the network that way.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I'm quite sure that a mapped drive assigned to a user by the Home Folder property will be mapped before folder redirection is applied. Not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back