Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBScript security!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowboard

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
GB
I have spent long hours learning how to write VBScripts to interact with Active directory. All the scripts work very well.

However my boss has recently leeched some of my source code and written his own scripts. I have spent many days getting all my code correct and am annoyed that he has done this.

So my question is this.

Is there any way to protect my VBscript files?

I have briefly looked at putting the code into an HTML page and using the Windows Script Encoder to encrypt it. The only problem is that the page crashed when I use
Set oDomain = GetObject("LDAP://.......)

Can anyone offer any advice?

Well (1.) I'm not sure where you are legally or morally in hiding script source from your boss, and (2.) I don't see the problem.

plain.vbs
Code:
'**Start Encode**
MsgBox "Heh heh!"
encoded.vbe
Code:
'**Start Encode**#@~^GQAAAA==@#@&HdTAK6PrC4P4+4"r@#@&bQUAAA==^#~@
Both run fine (make sure you use the .vbe extension), though I admit there isn't any WMI in this example.

Consider also that encoded scripts are not hard to crack.

Thanks for the reply.

I had originally tried this but it did not work.
However I was unaware that the extention had to be changed to .vbe after encoding!!!!

My encoded script that enumerates Active Directory then populates and creates an HTML page now works.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back