Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBScript read from relative path location

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazel4832

Programmer
Sep 7, 2007
US
I have a script that reads information from an excel file and otputs the information to a text file. Other people will be using this script, so I just tell them to put the script and the input file in the same folder and it should run. How can I get the Script to find the excel file in the same folder that the script is in, but not necessarily the same location every time? I've tried
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open ("/budget_input.xls")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open ("..\budget_input.xls")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open ("\budget_input.xls")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open
(dir &"\budget_input.xls")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open
(directory &"\budget_input.xls")
But I get the error that it cannot find the file every time.

Try this:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
xlsFile = WshShell.CurrentDirectory & "\budget_input.xls

What about this ?
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open(Left(WScript.ScriptFullName, InStrRev(WScript.ScriptFullName, "\")) & "budget_input.xls"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Neither of those work. It's weird because if I put
Set objWorkbook = objExcel1.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\lrobinson\My Documents\Scripts\budget_input.xls") in the script it runs fine, but when I try the two solutions above I get the error
'C:\Documents and Settings\lrobinson\My Documents\Scripts\' could not be found.

What do you get if you add in the following:
Code:
Msg = "The file path is"
strPath = Left(WScript.ScriptFullName, InStrRev(WScript.ScriptFullName, "\")) & "budget_input.xls"
strResult = InputBox(Msg,strTitle & " Path",strPath)

This should produce a windows dialogue with the full path of the file in a copy and paste-able form. If it does, does it look right? Can you browse to it or do a DIR in a command prompt with the text the dialogue provides?

My line of attack is that it's not dealing with spaces as it should. In which case try the code I suggested above like this:
Code:
Msg = "The file path is"
strPath = """" & Left(WScript.ScriptFullName, InStrRev(WScript.ScriptFullName, "\")) & "Filename.xls"""
strFirstName = InputBox(Msg,strTitle & " Path",strPath)

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple][/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back