Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vbscript & industry standard dlls

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltarho

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
GB
I have created a dll via PowerBasic which is easily implemeted via a Declaration in the 'calling program'.

I have a feeling this not possible but will ask anyway.

Is it possible to implement such a dll from Vbscript?

These are usually called "standard DLLs" as opposed to "ActiveX DLLs." There is nothing "industry standard" about them. It's an old, old technology - though it sure has its points! I'm not saying PB can't be compiled to an ActiveX DLL though, mainly 'cause I don't know much about the product.

However I do know that VBScript (or JScript, etc.) cannot call entrypoints in standard DLLs. This is a pain for lots of reasons, for example I'd love to be able to make calls to Windows APIs from VBScript.

Microsoft has no incentive to change this either. The Active Scripting tools are considered obsolete and "on the way out" (though we'll see, we'll see). They don't fit well into the ".Net scheme of things." But even a few years back it was unlikely to ever happen. Just look at all the flack they take because script can call ActiveX libraries!

Thanks dilettante

I'm not surprised. I've lost count the number of times that I have moved from one stepping stone to another to get at something I couldn't do on the 'old' stone only to find that the 'new' stone will not do some things that I took for granted on the 'old' stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back