Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBS: 800706BE - The remote procedure call failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonster

MIS
Aug 7, 2007
CH
Hello there

I wrote a program in VB6, which executes a VBS located on a server. This VBS creates a folder structure and distributes the necessary permitions for it.

On some workstations, everything works... but on other PCs, I get the error:

Error: The remote procedure call failed.
Code: 800706BE

This error happens at this line:

do until ie.readystate = 4 : wscript.sleep 10 : loop

(I show in IE, what the Script is doing atm)

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Cheers
Simon

How about posting your full code.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Sure... this is the code'til the error occurs

Code:
Const ValueRoot = "&h17"
Const sStartFolder = 17 'This value specify folder/browsing options
Dim PathFileBrowse,Subfolder_1, Subfolder_2, Subfolder_3, Subfolder_4, Subfolder_5, Subfolder_6
Subfolder_1 = ""
Subfolder_2 = ""
Subfolder_3 = ""
Subfolder_4 = ""
Subfolder_5 = ""
Subfolder_6 = ""

' -------------------------------------
' prepare progress window
' -------------------------------------

set ie = createobject("internetexplorer.application")
ie.visible = true
ie.navigate "about:blank"

do until ie.readystate = 4 : wscript.sleep 10 : loop
set bod = ie.document.body
bod.style.font = "x-small verdana"

' Choose path
'-------------------------
'Call BrowseForFolder("Bitte einen Basis-Ordner für neuen Kunden auswaehlen", &h17, "\\chsfile01\projects")

PathFileBrowse = "\\chsfile01\projects"

If you need more info, please let me know!

What OS are you running this on? Are all machines at the same service pack level? Do you have the same version of IE on each PC?

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

OS/SP is always WinXP with SP 2

I'll check the IE versions, thanks for the tip!

Ok, checked that too... IE version is everywhere the same... :[

OK, so if OS and IE versions are the same for machines where this runs and does not run, then I would begin with looking at permissions.

Check that the ID running the script has permissions. Take a look and compare local policy settings for User Rights Assignments.

Regards,

Mark

My vb-program opens the scripts as user 'prjcr'. Only THIS user is allowed to execute the scripts... so everybody who uses my program, executes the scripts with the same user...

But I checked the users (who execute the vb-program): They are in the same group and everything...

I tried the following:

I created a virtual win xp sp 2 machine. If i log on from there it works with EVERY user... so it MUST be something with the workstation...

I'm a desperate person :]

Long shot.
On the failing PCs what is the status of the system service 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)'?
It must be in the 'Started' state.

i linke robert's theory...also, are the machines turned off? ping them to ensure

i forgot to mention....sometimes when our sms pushes rules out we get this error....boxes with "remote desktop" connection was unchecked...not sure if this is related but may be worth mentioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back