Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA repository or DLL? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGROD

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
I write a lot of VBA code that I have to push to many users. So, this means when I have to update/modify the code, I have to go to each computer and make the change. Is there a way to put my code in one repository or file and have it referenced. I would love to be able to make changes in one place and the change applies to all my users.

Thanks,

Rod

Hi,

Check out making an Add-In

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

Looks like I'll need Visual Studio to create Add-ins. Does anyone know if I can create add-ins with Visual Studio Express edition? I'm trying to find a free way to do this.

Actually I create modules in Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and Project. It doesn't look like Add-ins is an option for all office products.

You need to be specific about what application.

Regarding Word, you can put your VBA into a .dot file (created in Word), and have users load it as a global template (an Addin). This can be one file on a network. The users just point to it. You would simply edit that one file with your code changes.

Visual Studio is not needed. It would only be needed if you are making a DLL.

Doing the same sort of thing for Excel is a bit different, and I will the Excel gurus describe that.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

I have a macro in MS Project that connects to an Access. I also have a macro in Excel that connects to an Oracle server and updates tables. Those are my two primary office apps.

Thanks for the Word solution.

Rod

I periodically publish a new Module for my Excel users.

I instruct them to
[tt]
Loading procedures:

Open Excel
Toggle to the VB Editor (alt+F11)
View the PERSONAL.XLS Modules (View > Project Explorer)
Right-Click DSC_Procedures and select REMOVE DSC_Procedured… (do not EXPORT)
Right-Click in PERSONAL.XLS Modules and select IMPORT File…
Navigate to \\dfwsrv222\public\SkipM and select DCS_Procedures.bas
Save your PERSONAL.XLS
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

Aaaahhhhhh.....that sounds like....wait for it....training.

What a concept.

[rofl]

Seriously though, that IS one of the best ways. Unfortunately, that word "navigate" stumps quite a number of users.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back