Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA is opening Excel as "read only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMCONNOR

Technical User
Feb 16, 2006
US
I'm trying to update an Excel spreadsheet using VBA in an Access database.

I'm opening the spreadsheet like this:

Set ExcelApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set ExcelWkb = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open(Addr)
Set ExcelSht = ExcelWkb.Worksheets(WkSheet)

Where Addr is the path to the spreadsheet and WkSheet is the specific worksheet I need to update.

When attempting to "SaveAs" after making the updates, I get an error indicating that the spreadsheet is "Read Only" and the changes are not saved.

If I change the Syntax to "Save", a "Copy of..." is saved.

Any ideas?

Do you have the read-only worning when you open this file in excel? If so, open it (ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open(Addr)) with an optional argument:
[tt]IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended:=True[/tt]

The behaviour you described is rather strange, you should not have problems with the 'SaveAs' method. Are there any limitations in access to the file or any code in it? I would first check it in excel.

combo

No, I don't get the warning upon opening the spreadsheet during the update process inside VBA. I do get the warning when trying to manually open the sheet after trying to update it with VBA.

Remove manually the read-only status:
- open the workbook manually, answer 'no' to the first read-only warning,
- start the 'save as' process (File>Save as), in the dialog select 'Tools' (top-right of the dialog) and next 'general options',
- untick the 'read-only recommended' in the saving options dialog,
- confirm saving, confirm overwriting.

You can still open the file by code with the optional IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended:=True and SaveAs with ReadOnlyRecommended:=False.

combo

Well, I'm embarrassed to admit that the problem was totally my fault. In order to determine what worksheet the user would like to update, the user is presented with a form containing a combo box that lists the worksheets in the target workbook. When creating this form, I failed to properly close the target spreadsheet after opening it to get a list of worksheets. Once I took care of this, the spreadsheet updates and saves correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back