Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA function in SQL query 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkrogers

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi guys (/girls/etc),

A friend asked me this question last night and I'm just looking for confirmation of the answer I gave him...

He's porting an Access app's front-end to ASP. The database is staying in Access, and he knows he's got to rewrite the forms and reports in ASP/HTML, but he figured he could just copy-and-paste the VBA (along with the embedded SQL) into ASP pages. However, he's run into a problem because the SQL contains calls to Access VBA functions. E.g. SELECT FormatName(FirstName, MiddleInitials, LastName), FormatAddress(AddressLine1, AddressLine2, AddressLine3) FROM MyTable;, where FormatName and FormatAddress are VBA functions in an Access module. This works fine when the SQL is being called from within an Access module, but when it's passed to the JET engine by IIS it obviously doesn't know anything about FormatName or FormatAddress, and so fails.

Now, as far as I know, there's no way to call a VBA function in an Access module from within an SQL query called from ASP (or anywhere outside of Access itself, in fact). Am I right?

My advice was to remove the function calls from the embedded SQL (but still return the fields that are passed as parameters to the functions), copy-and-paste the functions into ASP, and rework the ASP/VBA code to call the appropriate functions once you've returned the recordset, but I just wanted to check that there's no way of getting the JET engine to call these functions itself...

Thanks, in anticipation, gkrogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back