Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Code to Automate sending faxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eutychus

Programmer
Nov 14, 2007
US
thread705-1525332
I had to put the project referenced in the thread705-1525332 on hold, but now I'm back at it. Let me try to simply what I need to do. I need to be able to send an electronic fax via Access 2003. Does anyone have VBA code for sending faxes?

Besides what was stated in the above thread, here's a little more detail that gets at the heart of what I want to do: The users have a Vista Business OS and they have MS Office 2003. We have 10 PCs networked to a Windows 2003 server. Vista comes with a Windows Fax and Scan appication (WFS.exe), which we've been using, but the boss now wants to fax within the Access 2003 application. He wants the user to select a fax location on a form, and click on a button within the Access 2003 appication and have information automatically faxed to the selected location (fax number). Also, it needs to be faxed, not emailed. I think the information sent could be either automatically added to the fax document or be an attachment that gets sent with the fax.

BTW, the link above has to do with controlling the printer using VBA, but I need something that tells me how to automate sending a fax.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Why bother going in to the complexities of faxing?? My advice would be to sign up with a fax service such as myfax and have your code send the fax via email. This is much, much easier. Either do it with hooks into Outlook or better still using CDO. The end user recieves a fax in the same way as if you'd pushed the pages through a fax machine and you can have the reciepts processed from a return mailbox and integrated into your app.

I think, although I'm not 100% certain, that windows fax and scan actually uses this method in the background anyway (although not from your email account obviously)

Are you faxing from local modems or a shared modem on the server? In the old days on XP you had a "fax printer" on the PC, and in any application could select that printer and print to it to send the fax. I don't know about Vista. If you can find a fax printer driver, your links would tell you most of what you need.

Also, you may be able to intergrate with SnappyFax somehow. It's not free but it is cheap.
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back