Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA code If then problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshi88

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to add an If...Then code in my report to hide some fields. One the field is a descritption and if its equal to 5, 7, 8 or 10 I want it to be invisible. My code goes like this:

If Description1=(5 or 7 or 8 or 10) Then
Description1.Visible = False
Else
Description1.Visible = True
End if

The problem is that (5 or 7 or 8 or 10) doesn't seem to be recognize correctly. Is there another way to code this thing.

Frank

Code:
   If Description1=5 or Description1=7 or Description1=8 or Description1=10 Then
   Else
   End if

This is for Description1 being a numeric value. If its is a text field (string), you need to put double quote marks around each of the numbers.

John

Thanks for your reply, its working noew. But is ther a way to code it without typing Description1=... for every value. I have more than 40 values to type and if I use the Not Description1=... i would have to type more than 50 values.

Also, my report represent 3 shifts per days for 7 days, so I have 21 Description1name Description1SunAM, Description1SunPM, Description1SunNight, ... Would I have to copy the code for every 21 fields? Or can I do something else.

Thanks, as you can see I'm not use to work with VBA

Frank

Select Case Description1
Case 5, 7, 8, 10
Case Else
End Select

You can set up code to loop through controls
Dim intCtrl as Integer
For intCtrl = 1 to 21
Me("Description" & intCtrl).Visible = _
Instr(",5,7,8,10,","," & Description1 & ",") = 0
Next

Do you actually have repeating fields like this or is this a result of a crosstab query? I would actually try to make this more data driven which would mean creating a table with the values of 5,7,8,10.

Duane
MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green]
[red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]
[blue]Ask me about my grandson, get a grand answer.[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back