Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Code for Access reports using variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fbobak

Programmer
Mar 24, 2005
US
I've tried looking through the threads and found a few that were close. I have a query that contain multiple records that have multiple expense field such as AdminFee, LegalFee, MgmtFee etc. (there are 56 total). When I run the report if the user chooses just to see the AdminFee that's all I want to see on the report. I know it's a variable and I've used AdminFee.value, Adminfee.controlsource, AdminFee = varAdminFee. I've gotten so many error message I don't even remember half of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fbobak said:
Unfortunately, I have to deal with what I have.

True, but...
You could make your life a lot easier by creating a few queries to get your data normalized and use MajP's advise from the post on 5 Jun 17 22:19

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Thanks MajP, I'd appreciate it.

MajP and Andrezejek, I'll try both suggestions.

This is how you do it.
Have a form with a comobbox that has all 56 fees in it. For the demo I used a field list, but you could put the names into a table.

The form passes the fee name to the report

Code:
Private Sub cmdOk_Click()
  DoCmd.OpenReport "RptFees", acViewPreview, , , acDialog, Me.cmboFee
End Sub

When the report opens it sets the controlsource and label caption of the fee field
Code:
Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)
  On Error GoTo errlbl
  If Not Trim(Me.OpenArgs & " ") = "" Then
    Me.txtFee.ControlSource = Me.OpenArgs
    Me.lblFee.Caption = Me.OpenArgs
  End If
  Exit Sub
errlbl:
  MsgBox Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
End Sub

see demo.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=174d4124-8bd3-48d6-b826-c80fc13e1196&file=CostDemo.accdb
MajP, thanks for the code. I'm going to give that a try. Since I'm under deadline I went another route, very messy but it's gets the job done for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back