Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 SP6 on WIndows 8 64-bit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacsac

Programmer
Dec 10, 2000
GB
OK..I have installed VB6 on Windows8 64-bit, and with a bit of tweaking on the compatibility options it runs fine. However, SP6 refuses to install - it seemingly goes through the process, but then reports that it has NOT correctly installed. Has anyone managed this yet?

Trying the install of VB6+SP6 on W8x32 RTM later today. You want updates?

yosherrs.gif

[tt]'Very funny, Scotty... Now Beam down my clothes.'[/tt]

Hi JAG14. I would be very interested to hear how you get on with VB6 + SP6 on your W8x32 !

I have VB6 installed in a Windows 8 64 bit computer and it is working ok. What I did was upgrade my windows 7 that had it already installed. I see others did the same thing when looking at other forums.
There were others that said they installed vb6 and sp6 on windows 8 without the upgrade and it works. They said sp6 files were there but it just wasn't listed.

I too have now upgraded a Win7 machine (with VB6 SP6 already installed) to Win8, and VB6/SDP6 installed just fine on the Win8 PC this time. Thanks anyway radarm for your info regarding experiences on a 64-bit setup. When I was trying a few weeks ago to install on a new 64-bit Win 8 PC, I didn't think to check if the SP6 files had actually installed, even though the setup program reported 'unable to complete' Maybe the SP6 package WAS there, but I unlisted. No doubt I'll discover this some time when I do another install!

I heard a rumor I haven't been able to confirm.

It suggests the problem doesn't occur if you omit attempted installation of data access components while installing VB6.

But what if you need the DA components? !

The items in question are things like the old MDAC: Jet, various OLEDB Providers, ODBC Drivers, ADO, etc.

Win8 DAC contains the core libraries already. If you want an old ODBC Driver (assuming it still works anyway) you could always install a somewhat newer version downloaded as a separate install package.

The issue doesn't involve things like ADODC or other bound controls if that's what you are asking about.

It was also just a rumor. I was hoping somebody could confirm or debunk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back