Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vb6 shutting down when loading project file

Status
Not open for further replies.

foundryqa

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
US
I have inherited a vb6 project and on my first attempt to load the project file, vb6 shuts down without any notice or error after about half the project is loaded. I am really at a loss as to what can be going on. Any suggests would be greatly, and I do mean greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

It could be the project file itself (.vbp) maybe you could create a new prject and add your forms, etc into it.

It could be the PC or configuration - does it work if you used a different PC?

Is the version of VB that you have the same as that used to create the project?

Tom,

I'll try your first suggest about the new project file.

The PC that I was using was the same one that the original programmer used with the same copy of VB6, only difference is I am now logged on and he isn't. Could it be a security issue with the network?

Thanks for the quick response,

Fred

I got the same thing when I tried to run a project that contained Windows Media Player9 that was not installed on the second machine. I couldnt even open the form to erase the viewer control without it shutting down.
I had to install WMP on the second machine

Your problem might be an unregistered ActiveX component that you have to register on the your machine

tedsmith,

I would have to agree with you. I tried logging in as the old developer, no luck. And then I dug a little deeper. It seems that when I create a new project using the standard controls, no problem. But, when I pick enterprise edition controls to create a new project, the same thing happens. I will reinstall vb6 today and then give it a go.

Thanks,

Fred

I couldnt even open the form to erase the viewer control without it shutting down."

use notepad on the *.frm file :)

®od

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back