Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 SDI Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPRobson

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
EU
Hi

I've been working on an app that has so far consisted of only 5 or 6 forms. It's quite a simple app which has an activeX control on the main form. The main form drives the application (showing other forms via menu choices etc). What I want to do now is create an SDI application instead of having lots of forms with no particular structure. This will enable me to save my app and re-open. I've a fairly basic knowledge of VB 6 and was wondering what the best way is to achieve this? Anyone got any tips/tutorials etc?

Many thanks

Simon

Make a new MDIform, set the other forms to be MDIchild in their properties. Copy the menu/toolbar from the main form to the new MDI parent and all the forms are now contained within the new MDI parent.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. That sounds good. But, my mainform that currently drives the app shows up to 3 other forms (each with their own menu bar/tool bar) as modeless. How do I keep the functionalities of these forms in an MDI enviorment? (do they retain their original tool/menu bars?)

Many thanks again

Simon

Toolbars, yes - Menubars no. - ish!

The menubars get 'adopted' by the MDIform, and change according to the currently focused form.

I got around this by making form-specific functions toolbar only, and only kept project-wide functions Menubar.

Should a menu need to access a particular form function, make it Public on the form and call it from the MDIform menu.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back