Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 Running Under XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlevasseur

Programmer
May 19, 2000
US
I maintain a number of VB6 projects, 2 are very large and use numerous forms and 2 are formless.

Last year my company upgraded our workstations from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, also taking away any admin provilages that developers had.

My group had an admin account that had full access to any PC in our group, for installation purposes. There were times I would try to open one of the VB projects I own under my normal (non privilaged) login and would get an "Access Denied" message. If I logged out as myself and logged back in under our group admin accounts, I could open any project, make changes and save them. What was weird was if I logged out as admin and back in as me, I could work on any of the projects.

Now our domain admin group has taken away all of our privilages, but I could still work on my VB projects with no problem untilo two weeks ago, where I am getting the "Access Denied" error again.

If I have a domain admin person log into my workstation with their id, they can access the VB projects fine.

I have checked file sharing settings (all fine) and there are no files in use by another user. The only other possibility that came up under help could be aq registry setting problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and what sort of fix is there.

any help much appreciated...
Ray

Are you using any 3rd party controls?

It's possible that one of them is attempting to write to a secured part of the registry.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Are your project files stored on your PC or the network? You may want Admins to check for proper rights to your files regardless of where they are located. I am pretty sure this is a permissions issue that they need to fix.

I was experimenting by creating a new VB project, adding one custom control at a time that are used in a major production application. When I got to MSCOMCTL.OCX, (treeview) I got an access error.

I inherited the project from a contractor 5 years ago, and to be honest I never attempted to touch the logic surrounding the tree view, which never seemed to work properly in the first place.

I then made a copy of the production application project files, removing reference to MSCOMCTL.OCX in the project file. VB was able to open the project with errors. I then removed all instances of the treeview, plus code, and project compiled without errors. I asked users if they ever used the treeview and none did, it did some ubsuspected things.

Whenever I had to do a rebuild of the project I used to get a number of warnings, but the treeless version now builds with no warnings (out of date control).

Has anyone else had problems using (eventually removing) the tree view control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back