Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 - "License information for this component not found" error. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaJ

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
I am having a problem with the ocx DBGRID32.ocx. Microsoft listed this problem on their FAQ site, but this specific ocx is not included in any of their references.

Evidently when I loaded VB6 this ocx file was already resident on the system. ??
This was the first time VB has been on this system as far as I know. The first time I loaded VB6, this ocx was not replaced. I have followed Microsofts directions implicitly several time and still get this error when I try to use this ocx in a program.

I unregistered the ocx using Regsvr32 (got completed successfully message), and Reinstalled the VB6 using REINSTALL. (Microsoft's Instructions)

I deleted the old ocx file, uninstalled VB6 and then installed the whole thing again.
The ocx file was replaced with the new VB6 version, but I still get the error. I can add it to my project through the components, but when I try to add a grid to a form I get this error.

I even registered the ocx using Regsvr32 (completed successfully). Still get error.

None of the links at the Microsoft site include this ocx specifically. They talk about GRID32 and DBLIST32 but I can't find DBGRID32 anywhere.

Any suggestions of what to try next would be greatly appreciated

For vb5, ms offered a control fix program on their website.
Maybe someone can say whether or not they've done the
same for vb6.

I had the same problem but with a different control under VB5. Like you, I attempted reinstallations and I even tried manually editing the registry (dont do that!!!) I beleive that the problem is in the registry and no amount of reinstalling will fix it as Windows has now convinced itself that a problem exists and wont listen to anything telling it different.

I eventually formatted my machine and reinstalled everything. Now, I am glad to say, everything works fine. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear but there you go.

I used up one of my free support issues to get this answer so I'm going to share it with you. On the VB 6.0 CD, in a Folder called COMMON TOOLS (you may have to search for it) is a Fix program called vbctlrs.reg. If you click on it, it will reset the registry for VB 6.0 controls. This was included on the Microsoft FAQ web site, but as my control was not listed, I didn't think it applied to me. It worked! I can now use the DBGrid32.ocx on a form. [sig][/sig]

I, to had this problem. Microsoft replied with a KB article Q194784 and a fix at Q194751, a program named VB6CLI.EXE. It worked for me. Good luck

[sig][/sig]

I had the run-time error 429 on dbgrid32.ocx. The vb6cli.exe did not work, but pointed me to another fix under Q195353, vbusc.exe. This installs design time licenses for active x controls shipped with VB but no longer supported. I didn't encounter a problem until getting a computer with Windows XP. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back