Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 Installed on Windows 2000 professional problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

digipad

Programmer
Jun 17, 2007
US
I installed today VB6 on a computer in my restaurant that is the MANAGER station for my POS system, and has windows 2000 professional edition, after the reboot, I cant login to windows anymore, not even in Safe Mode.
The message come when I enter username and password :

" The System Can not log you on because the domain MANAGER is not available"

as I mentioned earlier, the name of that computer in the network was MANAGER. I dont really know what I did, wrong but now I cant even use my POS..
Please help me guys how to log back in.

THank you in advance..

papoyan@msn.com

Wow, that's a new one on me. I assume that you are on a peer-to-peer network, not domain? If on a domain you could try logging into the domain instead of the local computer. Also, if you have a good backup (just in case) and a Windows 2kpro cd (NOT a "system restore" CD as supplied by HP or whomever) you can try a recovery install - just boot off the CD and it will give you the opportunity to recover the installation and should NOT lose any data - but you need to be sure you have a backup first just in case...

I think I didnt explain good, I never had any domain name in that computer, this message start commign after taht installation. I just had username as manager and password blank.

Now that message will come up, and the problem is that I have dell system, but the Dell Recovery CD's are for Windows XP, but this POS company changed the OS to 2000 pro, beucase that POS needs to work on 2000 Pro, and I dont have 2000 Pro recovery cd, they dont make them anymore, and the POS company's tech support is expired, so I'm on my own

In windows 2000 there is always a "domain" - if you are not on a network (or are on a peer-to-peer network) then you log into the "local domain" - which is the computer. So when it says the domain is not available, it means the local domain - i.e. the computer - has issues. Windows 2000pro can be found if you look hard enough (I am a reseller, if all else failed I could get you a copy) but check around, maybe a friend has a disk you could borrow. Also, if you print out that microsoft solution and take it (and the computer) to your local repair shop, they will probably have a win2000pro cd and can fix it for you for minimal cost.

While the Vb6 install initiated your problem there is nothing inherently bad about installing it on w2k. My guess is that the vb6 install just pushed an existing problem on the machine 'over the edge'. I would think therefore that this is a w2k issue and not strctly speaking a vb6 one.

While you are getting good advice here you may also consider posting in forum 616 for w2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back