Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoProgrammer

Technical User
May 13, 2005
US
I have been using VB6 for a couple years now (I used VB5 for many years prior). When I started using VB6, I had no help file. I have tried to find a help file that I could use but have been unsuccessful. Is there a Microsoft or after market help file that I can attached to my VB editor to get some help files? If so, where do I go to obtain and install the help files.

If you read the EULA it is pretty clear that if you do not have the "help" (MSDN Library) CDs then your copy was not legally transferred. If you had a legal copy of VS/VB 6.0 and just lost your MSDN CDs that's another story, but you can't legally sell it or even give it away.

4.7 Software Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your
rights under this EULA, provided you retain no copies, you
transfer all of the Product (including all COMPONENTS, UPDATES,
the media and printed materials, any upgrades, and this EULA),
you provide Microsoft notice of your name, company, and address
and the name, company, and address of the person to whom you are
transferring the rights granted herein, and the recipient agrees
to the terms of this EULA. If the Product is an upgrade, any
transfer must include all prior versions of the Product. If the
Product is received as part of a subscription, any transfer must
include all prior deliverables of Product and all other
subscription deliverables.

Nobody said I didn't have the MSDN Library disks! If the help files on on those disks, great I had no idea that was the case. I will check and see if I have them and see if I have any luck installing since I have no idea how to accomplish that. As far as I know, the version of Visual Basic 6 I got is a legit version.

You'll likely have either the original single MSDN CD that originally shipped with VB6, or the later 3/4 CD set. You should just need to run setup.exe from the first (or only) CD

Thanks for your helpful response strongm, I will check my disks and see what I have and make an attempt to get this accomplished. Your response is exactly what I was wanting to get, simple and straightforward

I not sure about this: i think the last MsDN CD set that had help for VB6 was 2005.

That's just the browseable version, I believe (also available online). The last MSDN set that included installable VB6 help files was October 2001.

That's surprising and I think you are definitely missing MSDN. I agree with dilettante.

Why is this topic revived 5 months later?

There is absolutely nothing in this topic that suggests a required response from the piracy police or even a question of how software was acquired. I am a fully licensed user of VB6 and I could not begin to imagine where I left the original MSDN CDs. It is possible I have them buried in my archives somewhere. It is possible I pitched them over a decade ago, believing I would never need VB6 again, until a cheap employer wanted a VB6 app refresh instead of a modern rewrite. It is possible that they were pitched when they were replaced by a newer set of MSDN CDs, as Microsoft seemed to dish out as many discs as AOL did.

With such old software, the VB6 piracy police could just as effectively spend their time complaining about raccoons stealing garbage. Let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back