Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 Help doesn't work even after installing MSDN Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowweb

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
PH
I'm trying to learn VB6 but the book I'm using keeps refering me to VB6 help files, saying if I press F1 I'll get context sensitive help but all I get is a message saying that I need to re-install MSDN.

I can't believe MS get away with shipping a program without even basic help files! I've now purchased MSDN Library and intalled it but it still doesn't integrate with VB6 in any way. Have I got the wrong version of MSDN? What is the correct version? Where do I get it and how much is it?

Thanks for you help.

Peter Snow

If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly... until you can learn to do it properly!

As far as I know all full versions of VB6 shipped with a current version of MSDN - however since around April 2001 there has been substantially less VB6 content and more .NET content.

If you want to learn a whole new language you may do better to consider learning a current one, rather than VB6 which is in its twilight years.

Oh :( what is the current equivalent? This is really dissappointing news after spending so many hours studying and so much money on materials. :(

Peter

If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing poorly... until you can learn to do it properly!

>Have I got the wrong version of MSDN?

Probably. The last version of MSDN that carried help files that VB6 could use directly from F1 was ... erm ... September or October 2001

Thanks for your help.

What language should I be learning as a replacement for VB?

peter

VB .Net is the new version. I think VB6 will be around for some time to come, however if you plan to do programming for a living .Net will probably be the way to go. I don't think learning VB6 would be a waste of time. What you might try is to uninstall VB6 and MSDN then re-install VB6 when it finishes it should ask you to install MSDN. I think it is there but just isn't registered with VB6. See if you can launch it from your startmenu. It should be there as Microsoft Developer Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back