Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaff

Programmer
Dec 13, 2001
IE
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a free VB6 editor. I need to run a VB6 application to see how it works. Tried the FAQs but didn't find anything there.
Thanks in Advance.
Ricky

You mean that you have the source code to a VB6 application, but you don't have a compiled version or VB6 itself?

Hi Strongm,
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I have the sourcecode and I have an exe but I want to be able to edit the sourcecode and create a new exe.
I didn't realise you still needed a licence for VB6 IDE, have been looking for last while trying to find a trial version but no look. The developer that wrote this originally no longer has a VB6 IDE so I have to figure out some way to debug the code, make the necessary changes and create a new exe file.
I have a VB5 compiler and IDE but it won't work correctly and doesn't recognise some of the newer controls that are being used...

I think you'll be out of luck, I'm afraid. You need something significantly more complex than a simple editor. You need a full IDE replacement, incuding Forms designer, all the necessary design-time licences (which were never redistributable and without which you cannot use most of the controls), and a full-blown compiler ...

You're best bet - and I realise you don't want to hear this - will be to try and source a copy of VB6.

Find some1 you trust and ask his favour to compile and create exe for you or just visit your friend or borrow his PC to do your job. This would be much easier than getting Free editor which might not fully functioning.

Thanks for your help, i was afraid you were going to say that about the IDE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back