Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 & Citrix Lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
We have some apps written in VB6 that sometimes locks up when the users exits. We can't duplicate it, but it has happened several times now. The user exits as normal, and thinks they are out. But an application is still showing on the task manager and it will take up an entire processor. (50% on a 2 processor box). The developer is saying that it is a VB6 problem and not the problem of their app. Anyone have a similar issue?

Thanks,
Debi

Any databases /connections / recordsets or anything unusual open when the VB6 closes ? How do you close - big red X button on a form or run a closing routine of some sort or ...?

Boggg1
[bigglasses]

The users and power users both tell us they exit "normally" and everything looks fine on their end. We can't duplicate the problem, but it does happen often enough that we know we are going to have an issue. We had about 15 people working for 5 days and we had 5 lockups during that time. Doesn't sound like much, but when we have 3,000 users, we'll be having 200/day. Not fun.

Hard to tell about the database connections. Everyone connects as the same user id. :(

Debi

With all due respect DebiJo there is no real chance of diagnosing this without a whole heap of technical data about how the program works and what it does. You only hint its a database on the last line of your posts ! I mentioned the items I did because I guessed a few things that can prevent full closure of a VB program. Lots of us have seen VB6 not close properly but there is a reason.

I guess from your comments you have no access to the source code ?.

As a minimum, where and what is the database and what is closing "normally" - is it the X-button in the top right corner of most Windows forms or a special close button ?

More data please.

Boggg1
[bigglasses]

Thank you petermeachem. That's all I was looking for was someone to tell me whether or not all VB6 apps behave this way. That's what my vendor was telling me. That it was a VB6 & Citrix problem.

Thanks for trying to diagnose it boggg1. I am merely the hardware administrator, never even seen the application. I am complaining about the processor getting locked up. I'm not trying to diagnosis it, I'm just trying to confirm what they told me about all VB6 and Citrix apps having this problem.

Thanks,
Debi

You can run or not run the same code in both cases.

Just because you can doesn't mean that you do. Seems like Bog's question is a legitimate one to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back