Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 app through Visual Studio Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZuperDuper

Programmer
Jun 4, 2004
US
I am trying to create an install package for this VB6 app that works on my XP machine, source code was half written on who knows what and finished by me on Xp. Project runs fine, , it compiles and .exe runs fine. Only when I try to make an install package using Visual Studio Installer, package creation fails. I go through the visual basic installer, then I get at least 20 task list errors! example of couple:
Dependency information could not be found for <file name>.

to fix this i am told to do this by help:
The installer could not find dependency information for the specified project file. The installer could not map the file to an existing merge module (.msm file), or the file contains no dependency information. Manually add dependency information for the file, or work with the Microsoft® Visual Basic® Setup wizard to add Visual Basic project outputs and dependencies.
how do i add dependencies manually? And I thought that I am using MSVB setup wizard already.

another error is:
One or more files in <merge module name> have different versions than those installed on this machine

helptopic is not very helpfull:
One or more of the files in an imported Microsoft® Visual Basic® 6.0 project are also available in a merge module (.msm file). This message appears once for each .msm file in which the installer has detected one or more matching imported project files.

I know that this is alot of googly-moogly, but can anyone help me out with this? I am just trying to crweate an install package for xp and 2k machines.

If I do try to built install package without addressing these tasks, I get a message: 'Solution Update Failed'
and I get bunch of other task errors as such:
The property <folder name> of file <file name> is invalid.

What should I do? Help is not very helpfull, and I did try to use package and deployement wizard that comes with Visual Studio, that did not work either.

Please help.

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

I use Wise for Windows Installation Standard, V 5.21, and have successfully created VB6/CR10 installations.

CR has a PDF document that explains in detail the files to add to an installation program (V10), and it works well.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back