Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 and VB .NET? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrowingHaze

Programmer
Jan 28, 2003
US
I've just started programming and am taking a VB 6 course, would it be in my best intrest to take VB .NET later on?

"And chadt is trolling"

How? Dont be a smart ass.

how is saying C# is better then VB.NET and that M$ seems to be favoring C# over VB.NET too being an ass.

do you have nothing better to do?

I have read through all of the post in this thread and I see alot of whys and why nots..and why did they improve or switch to another Language. Even further there were alot of problems with VB1 - VB6 and other languages. But the one thing that I do not see in this thread is how did MS come up with the idea or even the motivation(boy am I gonna slammed for this one) for reconstructing the programming suite. Was it not programmers and user who have been complaining for years of all the problems with VB and C++ FoxPro and all the others. I believe that MS took feedback from everybody programmers and users alike and took a look at where the Internet was headed and put a think tank together and put .NET together and put out to the public. From what I have read and thought about often is that eventually everything is going to be platform independent. Sort of along the lines of PDF files but without all the restrictions. And as far as progress goes..well that is a Const. (pun intended) As long as public wants a better product businesses will be more than willing to accomodate them.
In my personal opinion(and it is just that) I believe that one should use whatever will get the job done in the most effecient manner. I started my programming life on an old ATARI 400 and would still use that language if that would get the job done most effeiciently. To effectively improve in the efficiency of your performance, one must be proficient in the implementation of a positive mental attitude.

C# vs VB.Net -Doesn't really matter- once you know one you can pick the other up very easily.. it really just syntax. The .NET Framework classes are really where the learning curve (and power) is for .NET.

I do think the VS.NET suite is better than the VS6 suite. You can do more with it and it addresses the web services arena. My .NET app is using several hundred web methods and works adequately fast over a standard 56K dial up connection. For this it just plain beats the pants off of old VB6. The whole Just in time compiling aspect is critical if you ever want it to be platform independant. VB6 just plain won't ever be platform independant.

And if you are a VB6 advocate you may never have never felt the benifits of true oop such as overloading and inherritance. These make a lot of things just plain easier to do.

VB.net and C# are essentially the same. They compile to the code that runs using the .NET Common Runtime Library.

VB.net is more similar to JAVA than it is to VB6 and previous. .NET is Microsoft's latest attempt to "take over" the internet. They have included the CRL in XP and removed the Java VM. If you've loved VB, you'll hate VB.NET. If you've loved C++ or Java, you'll love VB.NET.

Learn and use Visual Foxpro If you want to stay in an application development environment whose syntax is closer to traditional VB and is much more powerful than .NET for database applications (but can still closely bind with .NET objects). The Visual Foxpro team opted out of .NET because it would have required them to cripple Foxpro since the CRL doesn't have all of the functionality of the VFP database engine.

Check it out at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back