Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 and VB .NET? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrowingHaze

Programmer
Jan 28, 2003
US
I've just started programming and am taking a VB 6 course, would it be in my best intrest to take VB .NET later on?

No. ".Net" is merely a marketing ploy by Microsoft. They
found out that it didn't increase sales, so they discountinued it a few months ago.
It doesn't really mean anything, they just pasted it on
all of their products, hoping to fool consumers into an
unnecessary "upgrade frenzy" (but it didn't).

You can call it a marketting ploy or not... but VB 6.0 and VB.Net are far from identical products.

I'm currently rolling and application from .NET to 6.0 and I wish it was a simple cut'n'paste.

.NET has lots of nice features built in... however, to use any of them you have to force your users to download and install the .NET framework which is 20 megs.

-Rob

Don't listen to THOMASNG. He/she is somewhat misguided.

The .NET development languages, based on a common runtime language, are significantly different from their precursors (to differing levels)

C# is similar, as a result, to Java and to C++ (but then Java's basic syntax was always pretty similar to C anyway, even if the underpinnings of the language were somewhat different).

VB.NET bears a vague resemblance to VB6, but - IMHO - only to fool VB programmers.

Moving forward, classical VB will disappear (but probably not as fast as MS would like). Whether VB.NET or C# are the languages to move on to...well, it probably depends on:

a) whether the .NET framework REALLY takes off
b) whether .NET ever becomes genuinely cross-platform

If you are determined to stick with MS, then VB.NET is probably worth considering - although C# may be a better bet.

ThomasNG I don't know if you are just being sarcastic or extremely misguided, but I hope you realise how wrong you are.

Strongm sums it up well.

Transcend
[gorgeous]

VB has gone through many stages of "growing up" over the years. VB.NET is another (in my opinion - very necessary) phase in its growth process. Of course it would have been nice if MS had made this a smaller jump forward (especially when it comes to VB6 programmers who decide to port their code into VB.NET) if it were possible.

THOMASNG,
You can avoid the embarrassment of multiple corrections to your answers quite easily. When you don't actually know the answer to a question, don't just post guesses!

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

Some other thoughts to take into consideration:

.NET is likely here to stay. In all likelihood, all future MS operating systems will include the .NET framework (or its descendants).

Yes, it is, in many cases, a difficult jump to make.

I guess it boils down to three different choices:

1. Stay with VB6. Though it will be supported for some time to come, eventually it will become an outmoded relic of the past.

2. Move on to VB.NET (whenever you are able to make the transition) and then to whatever eventually follows it. In doing so, you will stay current with evolving VB programming trends (and, rest assured, they will continue to evolve).

3. Move on to a different language. There are many other good ones out there. Though I only have a small amount of experience in it, C# seems to be a good alternative (as strongm mentioned).

On the more practical side of things, I know that, often, what the programmers want isn't always what their employers will spring for. I would like to see my company move on the VB.NET, but I'm guessing it will be a long time in coming.

In the meantime. . . enjoy it - wherever you're at.

-wcprog

I heard in on NPR. They even had a MICROSOFT employee
say the ".NET" campaign was being discontinued because
".net" no longer meant anything.

I'm not saying your wrong, because I certainlly don't know well enough.

But I do find it hard to believe with the .NET Framework 1.1 released a couple weeks ago, and .NET 2003 in Final Beta just now.

Do you perchance have any web sources we could all read?

-Rob

GrowingHaze..
To answer your question directly... In my opinion..YES, it Definatly would be in your best interst to learn VB.Net later on.
The previous posts provided some good info. VB6 and VB.Net are definatly different products, almost to the point of not being the same language. The migration from VB5 to Vb6 for instance was relatively easy. The core language is the same, the basic functions worked in similar fashions. VB6 has extended features over VB5 and you can do more in 6.
The differences between 6 and .Net however, are extreme. The learning curve of .Net is rather steep. It is a major step forward in VB to become much more of a true OOP language. But it is still easier and much quicker to develop in .Net over development in C++.
In business, I have found VB.Net to require much more resources on my clients machine(s). Since we work primarily with very small businesses, this added over-head often precludes using .Net. Also, most clients have no idea what one or the other is ... They only know they need a project to do X. They want to (and in my opinion should) leave it up to the developer to determine what is the best language to develop it in.
Get a few good books on .Net. Install the framework, practice on the examples they give you. Make up a project of your own and write it. Make it work.
Personally, I would consider learning VB6, then SQL, then VB.NET. With the first 2, you are employable at that point. With the addition of the third, your value goes up. Without atleast a basic understanding of SQL, you are very limited in the ability to develop a complete solution.
Michael

THOMASNG,
You need to stop spreading lies. I assumed you were joking until that last post. I don't know if your ridiculous comments are on purpose or if you are smoking crack. But either way, please stop.

GrowingHaze,
It depends on what you want to do.
Are you pursuing a degree?
Will you be looking for a programming job?
If so, how soon?

VB.Net is a completely different language that is syntactically similar to VB6. It is a true object-oriented language. It will eventually replace VB 6. But how long that will take, I don't know. VB6 will continue to be used in many environments for at least a couple of years. But the demand for VB6 programmers is already starting to decline and will continue to do so.
So if you need VB6 skills for your current job, or one you are trying to get right now, go ahead and learn VB6 now.

But if you are going to spend the next year or more learning to be a programmer and are looking at your long-term prospects, skip the VB6 and learn VB.net or C# right now. In my opinion, it would be better to start with VB.net, C#, or Java. This way you learn object-oriented programming from the start and you don't have to spend time later to try to break all of the bad programming habits you learn with VB6. So you will be a better programmer and have better job prospects.

I also agree that you should learn as much as you can about databases and SQL. The chances of you becoming a professional programmer and not having to work with databases is very very low.

THOMASNG - Its not personal - its about being correct. Although we all make mistakes, you have a several occasions, posted information that was flat out wrong. I'm not taking about a typo here or there, or an error by omission, but simply bad facts.

You claim about .Net being a marketing ploy is simply incorrect. You have been asked for a reference to support that claim, and as of yet, it has not been provided. If you want to taken seriously, then you need to be able to back up your claims. Who was the employee from Microsoft, and when was in broadcast on NPR? or can you supply a written reference to support your claim?

Again, its not personal, its about correctnes. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

THOMASNG,
You have obviously never used .net or known anyone who has.
Otherwise, it would be clearly obvious to you, as it is to everyone else here, that it is a completely new language / product. It is not marketing. It is not personal, it is about the fact that you keep spouting off the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen on a board like this. You have no idea what you are talking about. PLEASE STOP.

wait a sec... Since when was anything broadcast on NPR worth snot? I've heard NOTHING on NPR that would make me believe anything. Just a bunch of PR. They should have named it "National Public Relations". :p Gag. So chill with the flaming. Maybe the info was wrong, and therefore no one here is to blame. Put forth your opinion or knowledge, and let us/them/the forum decide on their own.

Well, what was said as it was relayed to me is that MS is dropping the .NET name because of customer confusion.

BTW: Did you know that the binary that .NET creates can be decompiled? In fact there is a decompiler out there that will turn even vb.net into C#. Although the variables have been changed to protect the innocent ....

Have fun

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back