Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6.0 Service Pack 5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

norason

Programmer
Jan 28, 2009
US
I have downloaded SP5 and installed it several times, but when I run Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, the About... never shows SP5, just Version 8176. What am I missing? (Yes I re-booted each time) The original reason I wanted to up-grade is that the book I'm learning VB6.0 from instructs me (in lesson 4) to Create a Menu by clicking on the Menu Editor button, but the button doesn't appear on the toolbar. I assume this button is added with SP5.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I just loaded VB6 onto a new computer, and tried SP6 - no joy. The program flashed a screen I couldn't read, and no SP info showed up on VB6.

Talk us through the exact steps you took to get SP6 installed

Norason,

Judging from my problems and solution, I can assume that the service pack issue has to do with what else is loaded on the machine. You note that it is a "new computer." What other apps or drivers are installed? Is it a Vista or XP machine?
If it's Vista, read this whole link:

Good luck,
Rick

Downloaded vb60-kb290887-x86.exe
Clicked it.

Told it to load into:
C:\Downloads\VBSP6

It created:
vbrun60sp6.exe

Clicked it.

It ran, all I could see in the window was some file with a DLL extension.

Ran VB6 Help, it shows no SP number.

It shows v8176.

rickstone,

It's XP PRO SP3

It has visual studio 2008, SQL Server 2008, Visual Web developer 2008 Express, Office and some other stuff.

norason,

You haven't actually tried to install the service pack yet. As Microsoft notes,

vbrun60sp6.exe is a self-extracting executable file that installs versions of the Microsoft Visual Basic run-time files required by all applications created with Visual Basic 6.0.

When you run that file, it should prompt you to unzip that file into a new folder. It will create a file called setupsp6.exe

Once you run setupsp6.exe, THAT will install the service pack.

Rick

>vb60-kb290887-x86.exe

Suspected as much. That is the VB run-time service pack, not the VB application service pack.

My bad, I'll search for the correct one after I wipe the egg off my face.

Thanks!

Got it - thanks again.

I'll report the results.

Results:

On the new computer, it worked fine - the Help screen shows SP6.

On my laptop (XP Pro) it ran, but when I run VB6, the Help doesn't show SP6.

The laptop is my main development tool, loaded with software.

Thoughts?

Thanks

As we have previously stated and advised you need to:

a) download Vs6sp6B.exe. This is a self-extracting zip file.
b) Run the file you have just downloaded (Vs6sp6B.exe). It will prompt you for a folder in which to unzip itself. Select one, and let the program unzip
c) switch to the folder you slected in step b
d) run SetupSP6.exe
e) It will tell you that it is going to install the service pack in a full screen window that will not disappear until you click OK.
f) It will then show you the End User License Agreement, which you have to accept before proceeding.

SP6 will now start to install

If you do not see etther the explanatory window from step e or the EULA of step f this then you have done it wrong. Start again.

That's the procedure I followed. Everything shows up exactly as described, but the Help screen doesn't show SP6. In fact, I tried SP5 several months ago, no joy there either.

I wonder if it is because my VB6.exe is in a strange sub-directory:

C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98

just a thought.

Thanks

Er ... is that where you actually installed it to? Or did you install it elsewhere and then copy it here? Or what?

Can you check the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0\Setup\Microsoft Visual Basic

I know, it makes no sense, and I don't remember why it was put there. I know I didn't move it, it was there from the start.

Regarding the registry I have:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0\Setup\Microsoft Visual Basic
which has two folders:

Setup Wizard
Setup Wizard-1033-Pro

and also

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0

which has several folders including one that references the MUSICMATCH subdirectory.

norason

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0\Setup\Microsoft Visual Basic
which has two folders:

Hmm - it should have a key called ProductDir, which shows where VB Setup thinks the product is installed. If you don't have that it suggests that your copy of VB is not correctly installed.

At this point I'd advise a complete uninstall and reinstall

That must be the problem. I didn't want to reinstall before since I was afraid of loosing VB6. Now that I have it on another computer, I'll reinstall in on the laptop.

Thanks a million for all your help.

I'll report back when it's reinstalled.

norason

Thanks to all!

I tried to uninstall VB6, but it couldn't find it, so I just installed a clean version. Then I up-dated to SP6, and everything work fine.

Some day I'll delete all the old VB6 sub-directories, but for now, I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks again!

norason

Hi, I ran into the same problem as described before. I downloaded from microsoft "the" visual basic 6.0 sp6 service pack, and tried to install it

there was a blink of a window trying to install sg then it immediately went out, no error message whatsoever.Nor the correct sp value in the visual basic editor.

Reading this forum i have noticed, that explanation's file name is not identical with what i have tried to run. My file name was vbrun60sp6.exe, while it should have been setupsp6.exe.

In fact, all links in this thread that should point to the right download location doesn't work anymore, MS pushes us to change to Visual Studio 2008 :)

However this link works, there will be over 6 files that must be downloaded, extracted into the same directory, and then there will be the right setupsp6.exe, which is CAPABLE of really installing the service pack. Now i have the correct sp message in the help window.

Yep, vbrun60sp6.exe is the run time service pack.

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades!

You can hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters. - Eric Cartman

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244: How to get the best answers before post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back