Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6.0 and VSS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr3953

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
One of my users some how lost VSS option in the VB 6.0 in the drop menu. I try to reinstalling and repair and god what else it just won't work, I have no idea where to look in the registry to fix the problem. VSS works fine on its on but when u load a database and try to access it under TOOLS\VISUALSOURCE SAFE its not their. HELP.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sincerely,

Michael Raber

In the VB IDE...

Click 'Add-Ins' -> 'Add In Manager'

There should be 'Source Code Control' as an available add in. Make sure it is set to 'loaded/unloaded' and 'Load on startup'

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

I ran into trouble once when trying to use something other than VSS--it did not exactly go gently into the good night.

If you ever need to check the registry to see what's up with your source code control software, the following folders are pertinent:

[tt]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders[/tt]

will have a list of the installed source code control providers, one of which (and probably the only one of which) should be

[tt][key]Microsoft Visual SourceSafe [data] Software\Microsoft\SourceSafe[/tt]

This simply means that SourceSafe is installed, and that (in this example, which is the default registry location) it's keeping information in the registry under

[tt]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SourceSafe[/tt]

One folder up, in

[tt]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SourceCodeControlProvider[/tt]

there will be the following key:

[tt][key]ProviderRegKey [data] Software\Microsoft\SourceSafe[/tt]

which will have whatever data value is in the installed source code control provider key I've listed above. This is the entry that tells what source code control provider is actually in use.

So, if VSS isn't in the list of installed providers, it isn't installed, and if it isn't in the ProviderRegKey key, it isn't the current source code control provider.

If this is all working fine, and you still have trouble, the problem could be in

[tt]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0\SolutionPersistence\SourceCodeControl[/tt]

This has some guids that the ide needs to interact with your sc provider. If this is off, you'll probably need to reinstall VSS.

HTH

Bob

It worked thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael Raber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back