Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB4 ini file not working on WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuzkuz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
Hey,

I'm working on a migration to WinXP from Win98SE, and I have an application that is VB4 and Access7 database,
the application itslef is very simple but it requires it own ini file placed in Windows directory and only point the application to the Database
i.e.
[KuzApp]
Directory=T:\apps\Kuzapp\Kuzapp.MDB

the problem is when I place the ini file on WinXP it does not work! not on Windows directory or anywhere else..

the big problem is No one in the world have the code only the EXE

is there some WinXP VB4 compability issues, maybe special for ini files?

Thanks
Kuz

Hey, make your did for today!
help a Newbie! (That's me :D)

I use (alas) lots of vb4 code, and the ini file functions are ok on all microsoft operation systems.
if you havent found out your problem, im sure its permissions. the windows directory is not such a free for all with nt4, 2000 or xp.

of course, badly written code may just look for C:\windows which may not even exist, not such a problem then. just make one.

run the program as administrator and see if it fails.

oh, and look out for long path

if you can source a exe diss-assembly program and change the ini path to somewhere a little less contentious, you would save yourself some pain. (i cant comment on how much pain it will cause to use one, i have all my source!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back