Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr2006

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
US
Hi ALl,

I have been looking for classes to teach VB for access to improve my skills, but everything I see is in the .net area. Do you suggest any school or on line courses, good books. I took access classes but usually I do not learn anything new in them.

MS Access is a DBMS, a DataBase Management System. VBA is a computer language.

Each of these technologies are their own seperate entities within broader classifications.

Before you can use Access to it's full potential you must understand the concepts of database design.

Before you can use VB to it's full potential you must understand the principles of programming.

A great story is still a great story whether written in English or Urdu. Dont focus on things such as VB so much as the underlying principles. Once you get those you'll learn easily.

JB

As you stated, there are few, if any, schools, public or professional, that teach Access Programming. I created a course for the college I taught in, offered it for 4 years, and it only ran once. The college finally dropped it. It seems Access programming is just too daunting for the average, occasional Access user.
I can suggest two books:
Access Progamming for Windows for Dummies (yeah,right) and Step by Step Microsoft Access Visual Basic by Microsoft Press.
Also, just check out all the coding in these Access forums. You'll find some amazing stuff you can use or modify.

The most comprehensive book in my opinion is the Access Devloper's Handbook. There are two volumes, Desktop and Enterprise. If you were to learn everything in those two books you would know more than 99% of other Access developers.

I think it's hard to find courses in Access programming because it's kind of in the middle - too complicated for the casual user, whereas professional programmers usually prefer something more expansive.

Joe Schwarz
Custom Software Developer

JBinQLD,
Off the topic

Are you somewhere in the middle east/asia?
Taking the reference of Urdu from your post.

Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions.

JBinQLD (Programmer): That is exactly what I am looking for (Principle) since I know how to use access by itself with a little, very little in the coding side.

fneily (Instructor): If I knew about the course when It was offered, , I would have definitely taken it. I will take a look at these books.

JoeAtWork (Programmer): I have heard a lot about the Access Developer’s Handbook. It will get one as well.

ZmrAbdulla: I am in the US (Maryland). But I will be relocating to UAE soon. I looked at the link and saw your site. very nice databases.....

Ramadhan Kareem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back