Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB vs. Access/VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darxion

Programmer
Jan 17, 2002
US
We are investigating the possible use of VB front end, "SQL" back end vs. Access and VBA (front/back or all-in-one). Does anyone have any information or know of any links to any information that would specifically address the pros and cons when determining which is better, faster, easier to use, etc.?

If you have personal experience with each, which is better and why/when?

Note: Currently using Access97. I would like comparisons of Access97 and/or Access2000 vs. VB6 and any type of "SQL" backend (MS Sequel Server preferred).

Thanks!

Without any doubt, VB front ends against SqlServer databases. It provides you with all the security, and back end database facilities / processing without tying it up into your front end applications.

There are always many ways of doing things, but after many years of application developement using Access, Vb and SQLServer I would always opt for the VB/SqlServer route. I have seen far too many access applications that end up on desktops that grow to ridiculous sizes (500MB - 1GB is not unheard of) and become impossible to maintain ( having several hundred linked tables/databases and queries).

My suggestion would be to start with a proper base and you won't get yourself into future problems.

Hope this helps,

Chris Dukes

I agree with cdukes.. I have several apps that i have done in access and now are moving them to SQL2000. with access I found myself having to babysit the apps to much. some of my apps are 300mb even after compacting them. access is good for a small environment with not to much data. But once you start having 50,000 record tables you will loose preformance and the risk of corrupt tables etc.. SQL2000 is a true transaction database access is not. SQL with a VB front end is the way to go. dvannoy@onyxes.com

Spot on lads, straight VB is the best way particularly in large multiple user environments when access and its workgroups will all start to go 'pete tong'. Access is very easy for quick development but is a bit too fluffy for anything serious

The problem I always see is that quick developement in access have a habit of two years down the line ending up as mission critical systems requiring masses of support and impossible to maintain ( especially as the developers left a year ago leaving no documentation for the 500MB database).

Chris Dukes

btw, we ended up going with MSDE/SQL and a VB front end. MSDE for the small/cheap people and SQL for the bigguns.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back