Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB System Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan123

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
US
I want to run a vb app off a network drive w/o doing a full install on each local machine. Just map them to the exe. Is there any way to put the System files (ocx dll etc.) that are usually put into a system folder locally up on the network drive instead, and have the program know to look there?

I still seem to be having trouble any ideas how to get vb to use system files from a folder other than system.

I believe when you run the Package and Deployment wizard, can't you hard-code the installation path of a file? Check the setup.ini? .lst? It's a text file that should be on a mapped network drive, and if you know that the application path is mapped to say, drive "S:" then you can change the installation path to S:\AppPath\SysFileName.dll FROM ($WinSysPath)\SysFileName.dll

Kevin

I don't think that will change where it will look for system support files.

You can't change it in the Package and Deployment to any path. Only certain predermined paths such as ($winsystpath) and similar.
If I just put them all in the same directory as the executable will find them by itself?

Often, you can put the normally shared system files in the application path. Some IT Managers actually encourage this, but all I have read suggests it is a bad idea.
Better is to be nice the to IT people so that they install your app on the servers, along with SMS or Zaal or whatever so that all the users on the network get all the system files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back