Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.Net Place EXE on the network for multiuser acccess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0PP3R

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
CA
I am just beginning to develop applications in VB.NET using the visual studio 2005. I am relativly new to .net as I have been doing my development in VB6. I am running a SQL 6.5 soon to be 2000 compatiable DB database.

Currently I compile a VB6 exe and place it on a network share, this allows for all users to access it as well as makes doing updates easy, which are frequent.

I have tried this in .NET and the application will run, but as soon as I make a call to my SQL database I guess .NET is saying it's in the local intranet namespace, and the app isn't trusted there, and it throws a SQL client error.

Could this have to do with how the SQL connection string or connection is beng made? The current string uses trusted aka windows security...

I have done some reading and one suggests making the app a trusted namesopace on the local computer (this of course woudl then have to be done to each user PC for each application, not a very feasible idea)the other is to open up being trusted to all on your local intranet (but i guess this isn't recamended)

I can't be the only one attemptiong to deploy a VB.NET application in this sense, is there a standard to which this is done? There must be a way to place a .Net exe on the network share for all users to access???

Thanks muchly, I know this is a bit of a read, but let me know if you need any further info, and I'm open to just about any suggesstions.

Copper

In my testing I have found that if you go to the client PC and in the .Net framework 2.0 configuration under code groups-->all code-->Local Intranet zone-->Go into properties of that-->Permissions Set tab-->add SQL Client to this then the application works off of a netowrk share.

Is this dangerous in any way?

I sthis th enormal way, it jsut means that our client PC's need this setup so tha tany .NET applications will work...any tips help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Copper

No worries, we ende dup using caspol.exe in abat file to grant intranet trust to this spoecfic application, so prolem solved it woudl seem.

email festboyextreeme@hotmail.com if this problem has applied to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back