Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.NET or ASP.NET ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

atruhoo

Programmer
Jan 8, 2003
US
We are beginning to develop an application where I work that will require both Windows and Web parts to the app based on the users requirements. The problem we are having is deciding on whether or not to use either Windows or Web for the bulk of the application. Curious what guidelines other developers use when trying to make this decision as well as to what you feel may be the advantages/disadvantages of each. Thanks in advance for your input.

Richard

Without knowing your users requirements, it's not possible to recommend anything.

One thing though: if you want to install your application once, and make it accessible from any machine, anywhere, there is nothing like the Web.

Not looking for specific recomendation on our project. More looking towards what other developers use as general guidelines when deciding between web or windows based app as well as what you feel are the advantages/disadvantages of each.

If helps I could give brief overview of app requirements, but as I said I am looking for more general input on what guidelines others use when faced with this decision.

These are the simple considerations I usually make:

Windows App: Localized distribution, utility based applications, heavy processing, light data transfer.

Web App: Wide distribution, heavy transactional data applications, centralized business processes, simple interface.

Hope this helps.

- Glen

Know thy data.

I agree with BuGlen

but I have to add that the distribution of windows fors apps isnt that difficult. In the 2005 version they will even make it easier with clickonce that should be the same as windows update.

just my 2 cents

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

If you want to get an answer read this FAQ faq796-2540
What a wonderfull world - Louis armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back