Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB .NET Debugger Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgobrien

Programmer
Apr 15, 2005
US
I just installed Visual Studio .NET 2002 on a Windows XP Professional SP2 system.

When trying to run (in debug mode) even an empty visual basic project, I receive the following error:

-------------
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging.

Unable to start program 'C:\...\WindowsApplication1.exe'.

No such interface supported
-------------

-I tried installing VS2002 SP1
-I checked some of my windows services to ensure that they were running (MDM for example)
-I ran the VS repair wizard

Not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Product: Visual Studio .NET 2002 (SP1)
CPU: Intel P4 2.8GHz
RAM: 2048mb Corsair

hmm, do you have the .Net Framework 1.0 installed? I would assume so, having VS2k2 installed.

-Rick

----------------------
[banghead]If you're about to post an ASP.Net question,
please don't do it in the VB.Net forum[banghead]

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

I am going to download and install the .NET framework v1.1 just to be safe.

Im pretty sure that the VS setup included and installed v1.0.

I'll let you know if it fixes the debugger.

Another question, try running the app in Release mode. Does it do the same thing?

-Rick

----------------------

err, n/m you already specified that.
If all else fails, uninstall/reinstall.

-Rick

----------------------

Would a complete uninstall and reinstall of VS be more thorough? I did run the repair wizard, which I assume just replaces and updates things.

And yes, the app will execute in release mode (CTRL+F5).

The download on the .NET framework v1.1 from Microsoft's website is going extremely slow at the moment (despite our T1 connection). So I won't be installing that for at least another hour. I doubt it will have any direct effect on a Visual Studio 2002 install anyway.

I completely uninstalled the .NET Framework v1.0.
I reinstalled it using the dotnetfx.exe located on the VS 2002 WCU CD.

Unfortunately, the debugger still has the same error.

I checked my event log after installing the .NET framework v1.0, and discovered this:

--------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: System.EnterpriseServices
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 4/15/2005
Time: 1:24:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JOBRIEN
Description:
System.EnterpriseServices failed to install. Please fix the problem (see exception below) and run 'regasm System.EnterpriseServices.dll' again to install System.EnterpriseServices.

Exception:
'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8011042C): The server catalog version is not supported
at System.EnterpriseServices.Admin.ICatalog2.CurrentPartition(String bstrPartitionIDOrName)
at System.EnterpriseServices.RegistrationHelperTx.InstallUtilityApplication(Type t)'
--------------

Any ideas?

Well, I completely uninstalled VS .NET 2002 and then reinstalled it. I then immediately installed SP1. I am still getting the same debugger error (see my initial post). If anyone knows what the debugger is dependent on... services, system files, anything. Please let me know, thanks.

Did you try running regasm? As suggested by the error description?

-Rick

----------------------

Yes, just reproduced the same error in the event log again.

I get a 'snap-in creation failed.' error when trying to load the component services snap-in. I'll be posting that question in the windows XP section after a bit of google searching. This may or may not be tied to the debugger not working.

Are you running the install from the network? is the registry out of space? uhm.. I'm not sure, there has to be something specific to that computer, try following the same procedure on another PC to make sure that it is just that PC. If you have the same issue on another PC It could be a process issue, or maybe some software interference, it's hard to say...

-Rick

----------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back